Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Fear - Reveal Day 2



As I started this challenge, I thought what is it that keeps me from doing my art. Simple answer - Fear! Fear, fear, fear - I say your name you monster and you don't have power over me! I fear I don't have the time to do my art, that I won't be able to make my vision a reality, that I'm not really an artist... Okay enough squishy deep thoughts.

They say you need to "face" your fears, so I gave my little monster a face.  Monster represents both what causes the fear and the one who has the fear, hiding in his house.  Just look into his little monster eyes, do you see his fear that has left him speechless? well especially since he has no mouth!  I tried a few mouths - but with a mouth he looked either cute or scary and I wanted him to walk the line of fearful and frightful.


Orange fabric is from an adventure with Cheryl Lynch to Lonni Rossi's studio/shop outside Philadelphia.  What fun fabric I found in my bag of fabric by the pound!

  • Background fabric hand dyed and gelatin plate monoprinted with large bubblewrap*!!!  The gelatin plate I made was in a round cake pan, so the large circles that you see are the edge of the gelatin plate.  I liked that it adds a design element.

  • Monster is fused applique - stitched with Free Motion zigzag
  • Word "FEAR" is cut from Ultrasuede in letters that had some shakiness to them and fused with Heat and Bond Ultra (no sewing thru that - that's a monster bond)
  • Free Motion Machine quilted with my favorite thread - Rainbows by Superior Threads  - trilobial polyester - sounds scary!
  • No edge yet - I said it wasn't part of the challenge and since I don't know how I want to finish it.  I have some thoughts on what to do, but til I'm sure enough, or just feel like doing it, I don't fear putting it out here without it's edge.  

  * - These steps were done prior to 12x12x12 challenge
!!! - First time I ever did this type of thing

I have to admit at first I felt a little foolish - this piece has a simplistic, childlike quality to it.  And I fear I'm not an artist, making childlike art seems to go against what I should want - but it was very liberating to play and know that this is not about making "ART" this is about playing with my creativity, enjoying the process and learning.  Of all my 12s, this little monster has a special place in the doorway of my heart!  I think that's why I want to give him a great edge.

Hope you face your fears and find that they aren't really all that scary!


We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
- Eleanor Roosevelt


The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
- Buddha

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.
- Mark Twain

He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.
- Dale Carnegie
 

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't going to fes up, but my monsters eyelashes came from an abandoned project - I had prefused and cut out a shape that had that zigzagged hairy look. So when I was searching thru my box of prefused bits, it was perfect. Ok, confession over now, I feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to confess... everything is just part of the stash, right?

    I really like that your little guy doesn't have a mouth. I also really like the color palette and the one commercial print fabric combined with all your original prints. There is definitely a circle thing going on here.

    ReplyDelete