Monday, February 27, 2012

A-way With Words (part 1, the very beginning, a very good place to start)

I have a fondness for words.  I was fortunate to be born into a bilingual family, I studied a 3rd language in school and several years ago learned the visual language of ASL.  And then there is the written word... So many words so little time!  I read quickly but I slowly embraced the digital word - now I love both my e-reader and the truly printed word.  I miss the tactile and olfactory sensory experience of a paper book but the portability is well worth the sacrifice.

So, why the words about words... A friend of a friend wants help with using words in an art project -so this is for her, but it's also for me, and it's for you too.  Like my e-reader (Kindle2, btw) this blog allows access that wouldn't be possible face to face right now, but it lacks the full sensory experience, so use your imagination, brew a cup of hot Earl Grey (TAZO is my favorite) and let's play with words...  
 
I looked back at my blog and found quite a few pieces with words or Chinese characters. Sometimes the words are in the background like in Cognition - other times they are more the focus like Go With The Flow.

Elie Wiesel's words give me hope that my words and images here can provide information, interest and inspiration.    "Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds".
 
Isn't a gift of action, a deed - indeed?
 
Are you inspired by words?  Do you make art with a certain word in mind or a certain concept?  Does the concept emerge as you create?  Let's not focus on picking the right words, but on how to put those words in your art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment