Monday, September 17, 2012

Forest Ranger!

So what do you want to be when you grow up? In high school, the result of a career questionnaire was that it recommended I be a Forest Ranger.

I thought that was the biggest joke.

Now that I am closer to the half century mark than I am to the four-oh, I wonder... What would have happened if I listened to those results?

I do love nature and find a peaceful joy in solitude, I could see myself lecturing on and on about some aspect of nature, informing and educating.  My dad will attest that I don't let people litter! I look good in tan and green.  I love wearing hats & boots...  maybe there was some truth in those results!

Plus you seen the hat?




And since I'm being introspective, I realize that my childhood teddybear does "bear" a resemblance to Smokey the Bear.  Most likely Smokey was designed to look like a teddy bear so that my generation would know that we had personal responsibility for nature.  We also learned responsibility from his friend and fellow national symbol USDA's Forest Service, Woodsy the Owl.



From USDA
Smokey Bear’s expressions can change, but should never be menacing or frightening. He must always be portrayed as caring and informative, appealing to children and adults alike. The key to Smokey Bear’s expressive nature is generally shown in his eyes. It is important that any reproduction of Smokey Bear incorporates his caring, expressive eyes.



Rolling around in my little grey brain cells are several themes...
  •  clear space and creativity
  •  names (especially multiple names!)

"It is the brain, the little gray cells on which one must rely. One must seek the truth within--not without."  - Hercule Poirot, Agatha Christie's  eccentric detective.


Did you know... she was born Agatha May Clarissa Miller? and died as Dame Agatha Christie Mallowan?

thanks for having fun with me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment