Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dragon - Reveal Day 8




 Based on a sketch from spring 2011


 







  • Fused background fabric to Freezer paper for stability
  • Wavy S shape drawn with Sewline Air Erasable pen
  • Circles drawn along the line using the Staedtler Professional Combo Circle template
  • Colored in the spheres with Tsukineko Inks blending rainbow colors and adding some spherical shapes
  • Accidentally used steam when setting the inks, and got a nice smeary effect on the red to oranges and teals (interesting effect - may need to try on purpose) !!!   

  • Free Motion Machine quilted around spheres first
  • Quilted lines moving top to bottom around the spheres!!! and echoing curves on upper right
  • Added a dragon scale (or fern-like) quilting in areas that needed tighter quilting !!!
  • Did a vertical stitching below dragon echoing the tail - I like the checkerboard effect it gives.  I don't know if I like the quilting inside the dragon tail...
  • Bound using chunks of fused fabrics, fused on front and wrapped to the back!!!
Fun to take an idea from the sketchbook to the quilt.  This was just a shape (not a dragon) til I took one look at it from a different angle, turned it upside down and voila - dragon.  After it was quilted, I really  liked this quilt - but then when I bound it I feel that it came to life in a whole new way- now I love it, it's one of my favorites.







  * - These steps were done prior to 12x12x12 challenge
!!! - First time I ever did this type of thing


pizza cheese fabric


and I end this post with the cheese fabric on the back
why you ask?
because we all know "the cheese stands alone"!

2 comments:

  1. I love that binding technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the dragon, but it doesn't scream dragon. You could have quilted more specific dragon features for a different effect. But I really like the somewhat subtle quilting you chose. Beautiful colors! Good to use your inks too, right?!

    ReplyDelete