Thursday, July 12, 2012

Contrast and Commonality


In Quilt University's Playing with Paint online class with Lyric Kinard  I've been having a lot of fun and learning some good painting techniques. The painting on silk reminded me of a book, that I saw once.






I use my phone camera as a memory tool, so I looked in my photo album to remember...

On Reveal Day 12 I wrote "But is there some contrast and commonality I ask?".Reading Kees van Aalst's blog for July 1st, I see the terms cohesion and variation while discussing color and the need to have some balance.






Some of the fun I had painting thru the Playing with Paint included, learning that the back of what I'm working might be more interesting than the front.  Here I loaded the brush with multiple colors ala Donna Dewberry's One Stroke painting.

reverse
front

Plus if you don't like something... add more paint.
I like step 2's sponge painting addition to the mix.

step 1
step 2


Somethings you need to take with a little grain of Sodium Chloride. 


wet color wash

wet color wash with salt

It's fun to play with your food!







thanks for having fun with me today!





1 comment:

  1. Yay Amy!
    Well done and thanks for sharing your playtime!
    I love, love, love the salt piece with its combinations of bright colors and lovely subtle texture.

    ReplyDelete